Hooray for TV sitcoms! One of the things I can’t live without and Modern Family tops my TV series list. This sitcom is my go-to show on a Sunday night while sipping a cold drink and cuddling with the boyfriend right after watching a bloody episode of The Walking Dead. It helps erase those gruesome and violent scenes off our minds! Kidding aside, we LOVE this TV series for many reasons and you will soon find out why 🙂
Modern Family is a hilarious yet heartfelt family mockumentary comedy series which premiered last 2009 and is one of the most awarded and nominated TV series since then. It showcases three storylines evolving around the lives and non-traditional families of Jay Pritchett, his daughter Claire and son Mitchell. The creators decided to add a new twist to the traditional family sitcom by using mockumentary format to deliver narratives from each of the characters which worked tremendously for the show. It is what makes Modern Family stand out from the rest.
So here are the 7 reasons why Modern Family rocks (and why you should start watching this TV series NOW)
- The Valentine’s Day Episodes are so sweet and funny. You’ll definitely fall in love every single time. Best to watch with that special someone.
Cameron: It’s Valentine’s Day. It’s not the day you run away from love. It’s the day you chase it down. (Season 1 Episode 15: My Funky Valentine)
2. Halloween episodes are the best! Kinda makes you wish you can pull-off those Halloween tricks and cool costumes to scare the shit out of all the kids in your village.
Mitchell : There are exactly three people in costume here: a tool, a douche and me… and I don’t have time to go home and change.
Cameron : Calm down. Did you bring in the dry cleaning from last night?
Mitchell : Are you really getting on me about the dry clean… oh, I have suits in the trunk!
Cameron: Look at that. Yesterday’s lazy cures today’s crazy. (Season 2 Episode 6: Halloween)
3. All families experience different struggles, disappointments, and stressful situations in life. The show combines just the right amount of the “feels” and humor and lets you know that any bump in the road can be crossed as long as the family stays strong together.
Mitchell: I think I’m lying on a rock.
Cameron: I’m lying next to my rock. (Season 3 Episode 24, Baby on Board)
4. And when those dramatic episodes hit you? It hits you hard – no matter the plot and subplot. You will laugh hard and cry buckets all at the same time.
Alex: [Reading from her grandmother’s note] This is a lighter. It belonged to my favorite actor, Paul Newman. One day he came to the restaurant where I was a waitress and left it behind. For the first time in my life, I did something I wasn’t supposed to and slipped it into my pocket. One of the customers saw and said “Don’t worry. Your secret’s safe with me.” That customer turned out to be the love of my life, your grandfather. So, dear Alex, who I love so dearly, who’s probably too much like me for her own good, don’t be afraid to break the rules. You never know what might happen. (Season 4, Episode 24: Goodnight Gracie)
5. My most favorite episodes are the ones when the casts are all together in one place, like when they go on vacation or when there’s special occasions. You’re into a crazy, refreshing, super funny episodes for sure. They annoy each other but manages to end up on a sweet note – it is such a joy to watch.
Mitchell: You sound just like the kid who bullied me into smoking my first cigarette.
Claire: Maybe this time you won’t tell on me. (Season 5, Episode 18: Las Vegas)
6. I know this looks like a big advertisement of Apple but admittedly this is a very clever way to use technology and social media to showcase an appealing episode to all ages (and it would of make you want an Apple product – well all of it haha). A unique concept which only the ensemble of Modern Family can pull off.
Alex: Mom’s trying to guess Haley’s iCloud password, which personally I think is an invasion of her privacy. Oh! Try “password.”
Claire: (types it in but is still locked out) I’m kinda glad that didn’t work.
Phil: Wait I think I remember telling her to use something people wouldn’t know about her, like her favorite literary character.
Claire: (types something) I’m in!
Alex: What? What was it?
Alex: Wow. And that could be your new nickname. (Season 6,Episode 16: Connection Lost)
Every episodes are just way too funny but it will also leave a pinch in the heart especially at the ending of every show. The show depicts the modern version of what constitutes a family and leaves heartwarming moments and life lessons we all can take with us. It’s a clever, wholesome, and a fun show to watch. It has the top 3 important ingredients all family members can relate to – family, love, and friendship.
Modern Family aired their seventh season last September 23, 2015. This post is suppose to welcome the new season of one of my most favorite TV sitcoms but ended up finishing it two weeks after – note to self: need to make more time for writing.
Go ahead and start watching Modern Family for those who are yet to do so, you won’t regret it. Leave a comment on your favorite episodes if you have time, I would love to hear from you.
Sending you cat hugs from across the web. Till next time! 🙂